Friday, September 26, 2014

Autumn Tree Cookies



These Autumn Tree Cookies just kind of evolved as I recently baked and decorated a batch of cookies just for fun so that I could experiment and practice.

When it comes to cookie decorating, I will never rest on my laurels. There's always something to learn and new cookies to attempt.

The falling leaves on the cookies were added with a #67 Wilton leaf tip.  These cookies came together quickly and what I found most difficult was trying to decide where to add the leaves. I wanted their placement to look natural and for me that was hard to do.

I used dark blue royal icing for the trees and added them while the white base coat was still wet.

I'm now thinking that for Halloween I should make black trees on an orange base coat.  I think that would look really cool and I could also add some black crows and a full moon. I know I'm getting ahead of myself but I can't help it, I really enjoy the creative process of cookie decorating.

Here's how to decorate Autumn Tree Cookies:
Outline the cookies with medium consistency royal icing using a #2 tip. Let this dry for about 30 minutes before moving on to the next step.
Put flood consistency blue and white royal icing into pastry bags that are each fitted with a #2 tip. Flood the cookie with the white icing.

Then immediately use the blue icing to make a tree trunk. It doesn't have to be perfect.

Add some branches.

Here's another example. Let the cookie dry completely before adding the leaves.
It usually takes anywhere from 8 to 12 hours for the cookies to dry completely.

After the cookie has dried, pipe dark orange leaves onto the tree using stiff royal icing and a #67 Wilton leaf tip. Once the leaves are added, use a skewer or scribe tool to gently flatten them. If you leave them sticking up and out like in this photo, they will be too fragile for packaging.

This is how the leaves look after gently flattening them. Wait for the leaves to dry completely before packaging.
Here's an Autumn Tree Cookie with some Double-Decker Mini Pumpkin Cookies that were also part of my recent practice batch. Happy Autumn!



No comments:

Post a Comment