Friday, May 31, 2013

Microwave Meal Idea

My lunch today.

It's going on three weeks since I've been without a stove, kitchen sink and dishwasher because of my kitchen remodel and I can honestly say it hasn't been too bad.

With just a microwave and toaster at hand I've discovered that I can still make healthy meals for my family and avoid the top ramen and processed food route. Eating out is also not an option because I want to save money, not spend it - I'm building my kitchen on a tight budget.

Trader Joe's sells pre-cooked brown rice for 1.69 a package and that's been a very helpful ingredient. Microwavable brown rice can also be found at grocery stores.

So here's what I made today, a vegetarian rice bowl with lots of healthy additions like avocado, kale and walnuts. You could also add canned beans and/or precooked chicken sausage for even more protein and heartiness.
A vegetarian brown rice bowl is healthy, satisfying and colorful.

Microwave Vegetarian Brown Rice Bowl
(makes a hearty single serving)
2/3 cup brown rice (buy pre-cooked or microwavable rice)
2/3 cup kale, chopped
2/3 cup collard greens, chopped
1/2 small avacado, diced
4 mini sweet peppers, sliced
6 green olives, sliced
1/8 cup sheep's milk Feta cheese (I like the Valbreso brand)
1/8 cup walnuts
extra virgin olive oil
white wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Heat the brown rice in a microwavable bowl in the microwave for 1 minute.  Add the kale and chard on top and microwave for another minute.

Top with the avacado, peppers, olives, feta and walnuts. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil and white wine vinegar and season with salt and pepper.


No comments:

Post a Comment