Sunday, April 7, 2013

Red Doors Of Trinity In Cookie


The focal point of Nathan's wedding cake were the red doors of Trinity Episcopal Cathedral made out of sugar cookie dough. 

Nathan is a priest at Trinity so I wanted to incorporate the church somehow into the design of the cake and a colorful pop of red is always a good thing.

Here's how I made them:

I sketched the design.

I cut the shape I wanted out of cardboard and then used it as a guide to cut the door out of sugar cookie dough.

After baking the cookie I used an edible ink marker to outline my design.

Then it was time to start icing.

There are wood slats on the front of the doors so I piped straight lines with a space in between. Once the first set of lines dried I went back and added more lines for a textured look.

Looking pretty good.

I used a #1 pastry tip to add the black details.

I let the cookie dry completely before going back and adding yellow icing to the light.

I used a dab of buttercream on the back of the cookie to stick it into place.


No comments:

Post a Comment