Friday, May 18, 2012

Toasted Coconut Macarons


I think I'm addicted to making macarons. In fact, I know I am.

It's so much fun coming up with new flavors that I don't see an end in sight. Good thing I have lots of willing taste testers.

Today, it's toasted coconut macarons. Why?

Well, my sister gave me a bottle of coconut extract, I had shredded coconut in my pantry and I thought it would be interesting to make up a batch of macarons without adding any coloring to the batter.

I like the way they turned out — simple but beautiful.
Toasting the coconut enhances the flavor of the filling as well as adding a nice texture.
A perfect macaron should be dense, crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside.

Here's the recipe:

Toasted Coconut Macarons
180g ground almonds, sifted
270g powdered sugar, sifted
150g egg whites, aged 2 to 4 days in the fridge and then brought to room temperature
100g granulated sugar

Line four heavy baking sheets with good quality parchment paper and set aside. Also, set aside two pastry bags for the piping of the macarons.

Sift together your ground almonds with the powdered sugar and set aside.

Whisk the egg whites (at room temperature) to glossy firm peaks adding the granulated sugar gradually in four parts.

Incorporate the dry ingredients into the beaten egg whites using a large rubber scraper.  Mix well. 
Fold the mixture with the rubber scraper by pulling down the sides and flipping the mixture over. Do this until you have a smooth mixture that falls like a “ribbon” off the scraper.

Transfer the mixture into the two piping bags. Use rubber bands to close the piping bags. Clip the tip of the bags, one at a time, and pipe small quarter sized rounds, leaving 1-inch of space between each because they spread as they set.

Leave to set for about 30 minutes or until the top has formed a crust and is not sticky to the touch.

Piped macarons need to set out at room temperature before baking.


While they are setting, preheat the oven to 325 degrees. A convection oven is preferable. 

Bake one sheet at a time in the center of the oven for about 12 minutes or until the cookie is firm, matte and doesn't wobble when touched.
Leave them on the baking tray until cool then lift them all off the parchment carefully. You may need to use a thin knife to help lift them off.

Sort into pairs and fill with coconut cream cheese filling

Even macarons without coloring are beautiful! Be sure to let the macarons cool completely before lifting them off the parchment paper.



Coconut Cream Cheese Filling
1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 8 oz. package cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons coconut extract

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spread shredded coconut onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 5 to 8 minutes or  until coconut is lightly toasted. Set aside to cool completely.

Lightly toasting the coconut enhances the flavor of the filling.


Whip butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar, vanilla and coconut extract. Whip until thoroughly mixed and add toasted coconut.

Use a pastry bag without a tip to fill the macarons.



Packaged macarons ready to give.


10 comments:

  1. They are beautiful with no added color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are very pretty! Perfect feet. I can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Samantha for checking out the blog and your kind words. Please let me know how they turn out.
      Heidi

      Delete
  3. I want these to be perfect, so i need the exact US measurements of the grams ? if you know it would help me so much ! thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chelsy,
      You should invest in a digital food scale. They have both gram and ounce measurements and I've seen them for as little as $10. Accuracy is so important when it comes to making macarons and this is the answer.
      Thank you for your question and checking out the blog. I appreciate it!
      Heidi

      Delete
    2. thanks so much ! i appreciate the reply :)

      Delete
    3. They turned out so AMAZING ! I'm trying not to eat them all by myself! thank you so much for this post! this was my first time making them and I'm surprised that they came out PERFECT!

      Delete
    4. Chelsy,
      Yay! I'm so happy to hear this. Thank you so much for letting me know.
      :)Heidi

      Delete
  4. Can you explain the egg aging further? I’m probably just stupid but are you aging the whipped egg whites or is it separated egg whites, or even just the eggs being in the fridge( still in shell)?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Aging the egg whites is separating them from the yolks and leaving the whites in a clean covered container in the fridge for three to four days. When you are ready to make the macarons, bring them to room temp before whipping. I leave them on the counter overnight. Happy Baking!

    ReplyDelete