Thursday, May 24, 2012

Honeycomb Sugar Cookies

A cute little bumble bee cutter inspired me to try to create a honeycomb cookie to compliment them on dessert tray.

This was my first attempt so I'm feeling confident that I can do a better job next time. The one thing I think I can improve on is the definition of the honeycomb shapes. My icing was a bit too thin and it spread too much and distorted the shape of the hexagonal pattern.

Oh well, live and learn. They still taste great.

Here's my method:

The bee cookie cutter that inspired me.

Flood square cut sugar cookies with royal icing and let dry.
With a #1 tip and pastry bag, make straight lines across cookie about 1/4 inch apart.
Continue making straight lines.
Make short lines evenly spaced between long lines.
Stagger the next row of short lines. Try your best to keep them evenly spaced.
When you are done, it will look like this.
Make a zigzag line connecting the points of the shorter lines.
Continue making zigzags over the cookie.
Finally, add a straight line border around the cookie.
Four done, and lots more to go.
These aren't perfect, but they're still cute and delicious. When you have the time, just bake up a batch of cookies, practice and have fun.
Here's my favorite recipe for royal icing:

Royal Icing
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons meringue powder
6 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Food coloring

In a large bowl combine meringue powder, water and lemon juice and stir until meringue powder is dissolved. Add powdered sugar and with an electric mixer on low speed, beat until evenly moistened. Then beat on high speed until stiff, glossy peaks form. Divide and tint as desired and add water a teaspoon at a time to get desired consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment