Saturday, May 19, 2012

Brushed Embroidery On Cookies

My latest attempt at brushed embroidery on sugar cookies.


For Valentine's Day this year, I experimented with brushed embroidery on sugar cookies. It was a technique I'd been wanting to try for some time but was hesitant because it seemed so complicated.
 

I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it actually was. And, I think the results of my first attempt are pretty good.

But there's always room for improvement and cooking decorating is a constant learning process. Sometimes you just need to bake a batch and practice.

My first attempt at brushed embroidery.

So taking my own advice, I thought today was a good time to give it another whirl.

What's most important when decorating with brushed embroidery is having the right consistency of icing.

You need a stiff icing for the outlining of your brushed embroidery so that when you pull the icing inward from the edges, you see the ridges and lines of your strokes.

And, the base coat of your cookie needs to be completely dry before even attempting brushed embroidery.

Don't skimp on the drying time or you'll be frustrated. Flood icing can take anywhere from 4 to 24 hours to dry completely.

It all depends on the humidity, the amount of coloring and the amount of water needed to thin your icing.

Wait for the base coat of flood icing to dry completely before attempting brushed embroidery.

Using a stiff icing and a #2 tip, squiggle the outline of flower petals onto the cookie. Using the side of a damp square-tip brush, pull the icing towards the edge of the cookie.

Experiment with different shaped flowers and leaves. I find that random placement looks best.
Different shapes and patterns look striking when placed together. And, a border around the edges finishes them nicely.



2 comments:

  1. I don't know how this post doesn't have comments yet, because these are amazing. Stumbled on your blog, loving what I found (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Siti for your kind and supportive words. I'm so happy you found the blog.
      Sincerely,
      Heidi

      Delete