Saturday, April 19, 2014

Easy Enchilada Sauce


A pan of enchiladas ready for the oven.

My daughter Eleanor loves it when I make enchiladas for dinner.

It's by far her most requested dish and I don't mind one bit because they are quick to make and everyone else in the family loves enchiladas too.

When I make them I usually take the easy route and make them "lasagna style" in the pan, alternating layers of tortillas and filling. I find this so much faster and just as good as making individually rolled enchiladas.

I recently mentioned to my friend Anne that Eleanor was getting ready to leave for a school trip to Japan and had requested a special family enchilada meal the night before her trip. I also mentioned that I always make my own enchilada sauce and she said "please put that recipe on the blog."

So here it is for Anne and for you, the tastiest and easiest enchilada sauce made with ingredients you probably already have on hand in your pantry.

Enchilada Sauce
1 28 oz can tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes (Note: Once I only had a single 12 oz can of tomato paste on hand — so I added water to thin it down to a sauce and it worked just fine.)
1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
2 teaspoons garlic powder
3 teaspoons cumin
4 teaspoons chili powder
2 tablespoons water

Add caption
Put all of the ingredients into a bowl, mix and that's all there is to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment