Sunday, April 13, 2014

Double Decker Bunny Cookies




Arranged on a platter or individually wrapped and tucked into an Easter basket, either way these Double Decker Bunny Cookies are irresistible.

To make them, bake an equal number of small bunny cookies and large plain shaped cookies that will be used as the bases.

I found my small bunny cookie cutter at the The Decorette Shop here in Portland, but you can easily find similar cutters online. Just make sure to get a mini bunny cutter so that you don't have to make giant cookies for the base.

I added dots to some of the base cookies using the wet-on-wet technique. And, I kept some of them a single solid color just for variation and to add interest.





Here's how I made them:
I outlined all of the base cookies with white royal icing using a #2 tip and left them to dry for 30 minutes.

I then filled in the base cookies with flood consistency icing using a #2 tip.

After flooding, I immediately added white dots to some of the cookies using the same white icing I used for outlining. After all of the base cookies are decorated, leave them to dry completely. This takes about 8 hours.

Outline the bunny cookies using medium consistency royal icing and a #1 tip.


Using the same icing, immediately fill in the outline.

Use a skewer or scribe tool to move the icing to fill in the gaps.

Give the cookie a gently shake and leave it to dry.
Once the icing is dry, add a dot of pink icing for the nose and a blob of stiff icing for a fluffy tail. I didn't even use a pastry bag to add the icing to the tail. I just took a small spoon and dabbed it on.

Also add a tiny dot of black icing for the eye. Wait until everything is dry before assembling the double-decker cookie.

To assemble, add a blob of stiff icing to the back of the bunny. Keep it in the center so that it doesn't squish out too much when you press it onto the base cookie.

Set the bunny on its base cookie and gently press. Wait for the royal icing "glue" to  dry completely before serving or packaging.


No comments:

Post a Comment