Sunday, June 8, 2014

Homemade Veggie Burgers

My daughter Eleanor adding condiments to her veggie burger.

I used to buy frozen Veggie Burgers in the store until I figured out they were easy to make myself and tasted so much better. There's no hard recipe, just cooked veggies, white beans, oatmeal and eggs blitzed in the food processor. Honestly, every time I make them, they're one of a kind because I use different veggies and seasonings.

Last night I made a tasty batch using cooked frozen corn and green beans, sweet onion and seasoned it with chili powder and Italian herbs.

It never hurts to make extra Veggie Burgers because you can bake them and then individually freeze them for a quick meal. Then all you have to do is pull one out of the freezer and heat it in the microwave for a minute or two. I also sometimes forgo the bun and dice one up to top a green salad — mmmm.....Veggie Burger Croutons!

In the food processor is 1 cup of cooked corn, 1 1/2 cups of cooked green beans, 1/2 of a diced sweet onion, 1 can of white beans, 1 1/2 cups of old fashioned oatmeal and 2 eggs. I also seasoned the mixture with chili powder, Italian herbs, sea salt and black pepper.

Here's the mixture after processing. Its texture resembles a thick muffin batter.

Prepare a sheetpan with a greased sheet of parchment paper. Scoop 1/2 cup blobs of the mixture onto the parchment and use your fingers to gently pat them out into even-sized patties. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes, flip the patties and bake for another 7 to 10 minutes or until the burgers are firm and golden brown.

Add your choice of condiments.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment