Sunday, January 19, 2014

Apple Crisp And Falcon Enamelware

A serving of warm apple crisp with a dollop of whipped cream.
Last night I decided to throw together a quick apple crisp for dessert when I realized the only apples I had on hand were organic. 

Not wanting to waste a bit of the premium Pacific Rose apples and I admit, feeling a bit lazy, I decided to forgo peeling them and I have to say I would do it again.

Just thinly slicing the apples saved time and nutritional benefits since most of the fiber in an apple is in the peel which also contains cancer-fighting phytonutrients. 

Not peeling them also made the finished dish so pretty since the baking caused the rose colored exterior to lightly blush the flesh. In the end,  I think it heightened the crisp to an elegant dessert.
The color from the apple skin blushed the flesh and made the dish so pretty.

On a side note, I was also excited to use my new bright red Falcon Enamelware that my brother Josh gave me for Christmas.  Falcon is a British company that has been in business since the 1920's.

The bright colored pans are made with heavyweight steel, have a baked-on porcelain coating and won't break if you drop them.
My new Falcon Enamelware. Thank you Josh! 



Josh gave me the five-piece pie set and I used the largest pan (11-3/4" x  8-3/4") for the crisp.  I have absolutely fallen for enamelware. It bakes evenly and looks so nice that it can go straight from the oven to the table.


Apple Crisp
6 to 8 medium-sized organic apples, cored and thinly sliced (use apples that are good for baking like Pacific Rose, Fuji, Pink Lady or Honeycrisp)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon 
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup old fashioned oatmeal
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup brown sugar


Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter a 11-3/4 x 8-3/4 to 9x13 sized baking pan.

In a large bowl mix the apples with the lemon juice, granulated sugar, cinnamon, ginger, vanilla and 1 tablespoon of flour. Lay the mixture evenly in the prepared baking dish.
The apple layer.

In a medium-sized bowl combine the oatmeal, 1/2 cup flour, walnuts, brown sugar and unsalted butter. Use your fingers to break the butter into the dry ingredients to create a crumbly topping. Evenly spread the topping over the apples.

Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.

Warm apple crisp ready to serve. I recommend serving it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of lightly whipped cream.





No comments:

Post a Comment