Thursday, December 19, 2013

Christmas Light Cookies



If you need a quick decorated cookie for a holiday party, these Christmas Light Cookies are perfect. Light cookie cutters are easy to find online and in baking supply stores.

The light cutter that I used. I got mine at Sur La Table.


I used gingerbread dough to make them but sugar cookie dough would work just as well.

To decorate them I used flood consistency red and green royal icing and a #2 tip, outlining and then immediately flooding the bulb as not to leave a distinguishable outline.

For the threads of the bulb, I used piping consistency icing, tinted grey.  Piping the threads of the bulb with a stiffer icing using a #2 tip adds interest to the cookie and is so easy to do.
Cookie closeup.

Adding texture by piping the threads on top of the bulb makes a big impact on these simple cookies.


A nice way to display the finished cookies is to lay them across a piece of colored twine so that they actually look like a string of festive lights.


4 comments:

  1. Thank you Heidi for your delightful and delicious postings. I am so glad I subscribed - I really look forward to the emails. I especially loved the report on the Community Lunch--the last before Christmas--what a gift you and your devoted crew are giving. And the food is so beautiful. And the Christmas light cookies are great! I'm waiting for the recipe for the EXTRAORDINARY cranberry sugar cookies that were in the cookie boxes. That has become my favorite cookie of all time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine,
      Thank you so much for your kind words and for following the blog. It means a lot to me. Cheryl is the one who gets all the credit for the delicious cranberry cookies. She found the recipe and made them for the cookie boxes. Before though, she tested them on us at the Wednesday Community Meal and we went bonkers for them. I know they are her husband Dave's favorite too. I promise to get the recipe and post it soon.

      Delete
    2. Well, I am bonkers for your cookies, too! There is not one of your macarons that I haven't drooled over. And the Russian teacakes--they are like Proust and his madeleines. They remind me of my mother - she made them every Christmas.

      Delete
    3. Thank you Christine. You made my day!
      Sincerely,
      Heidi

      Delete