Friday, November 2, 2012

Wild Squirrel Cookies



I have been wanting to use my squirrel cookie cutter for a while but never felt inspired when I thought about decorating them the color of a real squirrel — brown, brown and more brown.

So I decided to just go for it and add some wildly bright tails. I don't care that they don't look real because these squirrels make me happy. I hope you like them too.


Here's how to make them:

Make and bake some squirrel shaped sugar cookies.

Outline and fill the body of the squirrel with brown royal icing that's flood consistency.
Outline and fill the tail with brightly colored royal icing that is flood consistency. Have a complimentary color of royal icing that is also flood consistency ready to go when you start this step because you need to use it as soon as the tail is filled in.
Using a #1 icing tip, drop dots of different sizes onto the tail.
Keep working until all your cookies are ready for their eye and nose.
Using a stiffer black royal icing and a #1 pastry tip, add dots for the eye and nose. Let the cookies dry completely before packaging.

No comments:

Post a Comment