Sunday, October 7, 2012

Macaron Egg White Test

Pumpkin macarons made with fresh egg whites, resting before baking.
Today I saw pile of pumpkins outside our neighborhood grocery store and was suddenly inspired to make pumpkin macarons.

There was one problem though, I didn't have any aged egg whites at home.

Almost every macaron recipe calls for room temperature egg whites aged 2 to 4 days in the fridge. Aged egg whites are what I've always used with success since I began making macarons so I haven't tried anything different — until today. The reasoning behind using aged egg whites is that they contain less moisture than fresh eggs.

I'm making this pumpkin batch with fresh room temperature egg whites. So far things are looking good. The batter came together well and the piping went just fine. The real question is will they rise properly in the oven? Will they have cute little feet?

The results will be in soon.

 If this works, I'll be so happy because I'll be able to throw together a batch of macarons anytime I want. 

No comments:

Post a Comment