Monday, May 4, 2015

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies


I find it hard to eat just one of these Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies. They are chewy, chocolatey and one of my favorites.

The secret to making these is to use premium dark chocolate chips (I used Callebaut Belgian dark chocolate chips but I also like Fred Meyer Private Selection Dark Chocolate Chunks) and a hearty dose of sea salt which in my opinion makes just about every sweet so much better.

This is a quick recipe to make and something I often find myself throwing together last minute.


Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
(makes 4 dozen cookies)

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
3 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4  teaspoon sea salt
4 3/4 cups old fashioned oatmeal
2 cups dark chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl cream together the shortening, butter, sugars and vanilla.  Add the eggs, baking soda and salt. Mix well. Add the flour and mix again. Finally stir in the oatmeal and chocolate chips.

Scoop 1-inch balls and place 1-inch apart on lightly greased or parchment-lined sheetpans. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.

Let the cookies cool a bit on the sheetpan before transferring them to cooling racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment