Saturday, May 30, 2015

Gilding Cookies


When it comes to cookie decorating, there are so many design possibilities that it's sometimes hard to know when to stop.

And that's how it was with my rose cookies — I liked them but I couldn't resist adding some extra oomph by gilding the borders with gold luster dust. Now, I can say they're done and I'm satisfied. Though I have to admit, I'm already dreaming about my next cookie project. It never ends!

In the meantime, here's how I gilded the borders of my rose cookies. It's simple to do as long as you are sure your royal icing is completely dry. I let mine dry for a full 24-hours just to be sure.


For this project you need edible gold luster dust which is available at cake decorating stores and online. You also need a few drops of vodka or lemon extract and a small, food only,  soft paint brush.
In a small bowl mix about 1/4 teaspoon of luster dust with just a few drops of vodka or lemon extract. You just want to add enough to make a spreadable paint.
Gently paint the gold around the border.

A before and after shot. I definitely like the gold border best. Let the cookies dry completely before packaging or serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment