Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Packaging Truffles







Homemade truffles make wonderful gifts, especially when packaged beautifully with some loving care and attention to detail.

Now don't get me wrong, no one is going to reject a pile of truffles delivered on a paper plate but it's definitely more thoughtful to present them in way that's aesthetically pleasing and looks professional. Packaging truffles is also inexpensive to do with a little recycling, crafting and creativity. I actually think the packaging part is fun. Adults need art projects too!

Here's how:
After coating the truffles, I used chopped walnuts, shredded coconut and dark cocoa powder, chill the truffles for at least 30 minutes before packaging them.

After they've chilled, place the truffles in individual paper candy cups. The cups are inexpensive and can be found in craft and baking specialty stores as well as the baking department of many grocery stores. The papers keep the truffles secure and tidy.
I reused and upcycled a 4-piece candy box by covering it with craft paper.  I adhered the paper to the box with double-sided adhesive squares. Double stick tape would also work and I used my trusty large paper punch to make a tag. You could also fold your own box using the easy Origami method.  Click here for an instructional video showing how.

I covered the bottom of the box by cutting paper to fit and adhering it with adhesive squares.

To cover the top, I cut a piece of paper large enough to cover the top and sides plus 1/2-inch extra all around. Then from the corners, I cut diagonally to the corners of the top of the box.

Then, using the adhesive squares to stick the paper, I wrapped the box.

A tag made with the paper punch and an adhesive label adds that final touch.  I also padded the box with a bit of tissue paper and snugly placed the truffles in the box.

Another packaging option is to use self-sealing cellophane bags and attach a homemade tag with butcher's twine or ribbon. There are of course other options too so get creative and share some homemade truffles with your family and friends. It's fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment