Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Coming Soon...A Tiered Anniversary Cake

Anniversary Cake Supplies.
For the last month I've been working on a design for a tiered anniversary cake for a celebration this coming Sunday. Since showtime is quickly approaching, I'm doing my best to stay organized and trying to get as much as possible done ahead of time.

Over the weekend I finished getting all my supplies in order and the first task I knocked off my to do list was covering the cake boards.

I say cake boards because in addition to the tiered cake, I'm making two large cakes that we can slice into first so that the centerpiece cake can remain intact, at least for a bit.

For cake boards, I use 16-inch wood rounds that I cover with fabric and trim. I purchased the boards at the hardware store and I love that they are sturdy and reusable. When the party is over, I just remove the fabric and trim and set them aside for next time.

When it comes to choosing what fabric to cover the boards in, I like neutral and simple since the cake should be what stands out. For this event I'm using muslin since I'm trimming the cake boards with a burlap trim and thought they'd look nice together. The materials I chose also add a bit of texture to the cake boards which I like and feel is perfect for a fall celebration.

Here's how to cover a cake board:
Lay the board on the fabric and simply pull the fabric taut around it and staple into place. Don't worry if the stapling looks messy. This is the underside and no one will see it.

See how nice this looks.

To add the trim, measure the circumference of the board and add one inch to this to get the length you need. Cut the trim.

I used a glue gun to adhere the trim to the side of the board, working just a bit at a time until the side is completely covered. When you get to the end, cut the trim neatly so that it overlaps just about 1/4 of an inch.

Here are my completed boards. Notice the seam of the trim on the bottom board — It doesn't look too bad but I always make sure it's on the backside of the finished cake.




1 comment:

  1. Get ready to celebrate in style with our upcoming masterpiece: a tiered anniversary cake that's sure to steal the show! Stay tuned for a delectable delight that'll make your special day even sweeter. 🎂✨Anniversary cake

    ReplyDelete