Sunday, October 13, 2013

Fun In L.A.


In Josh and John's kitchen with a just baked berry pie.
I'm visiting my brothers Josh and John in Los Angeles this week and having a very good time. We are just hanging out and taking it easy which is my kind of vacation. No big plans but to relax and have fun.


One of the first things I said when I arrived was that I wanted to bake a pie. They have a beautiful just-remodeled kitchen but admitted to me that nothing has been baked in the oven except frozen pizzas and a batch of tater tots. I had to change that.

So after a shopping trip to get a pie pan, a rolling pin and ingredients we had a double-crust berry pie in the oven in just about 30 minutes.
My brother Josh got a little side tracked in the Halloween department during our shopping trip.

My brother John ready for a slice of warm berry pie with a side of vanilla ice cream.

The next day we went to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA) to see the James Turrell exhibit. 

We couldn't have picked a better time to go, there were no crowds to fight and we were able to take our time and thoroughly enjoy the experience. 

The exhibit also included two full rooms devoted to just to Roden Crater, Turrell's work in progress. Since 1970, Turrell has been transforming an extinct volcano northeast of Flagstaff, Arizona into a work of art, moving tons of earth to carve out viewing chambers and tunnels in which to view the art of the light and the sky.


With my brothers in  front of "Levitated Mass" by artist Michael Heizer at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art.
While at LACMA we saw the James Turrell exhibit, exploring nearly fifty years of  his career as a key artist in the Southern California Light and Space movement of the 1960's and 70's.  


No comments:

Post a Comment