Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Early Morning Shopping

My cart at Cash 'n' Carry.

My Wednesday started with an early morning shopping trip to buy food for the community meal.

I received word on Tuesday from our gleaners that there was rice, soup, apples, cucumbers and red peppers but no main protein for the meal.

I like to wait to the last minute before shopping just in case some food comes in late.

So this morning I left the house at 7 a.m. and headed to Cash 'n' Carry where I bought pork loins and salad greens.

It's always hard not knowing how many people will come to eat but I try to error on the side of getting too much food because we can always offer seconds.

Once I got to Trinity Episcopal Cathedral, my friends and fellow volunteers worked hard and by the time we were ready to open our doors, we were ready to offer plates of roasted pork, caramelized apples and baked potatoes topped with sour cream and green onions. The guests were very happy.

Volunteers Leah and Ann are such a help to me. They always arrive early and help prep the vegetables for the salads. It's a tedious job and they never complain.
In addition to the main meal there was soup, salad and dessert.  The latter was pumpkin chocolate spice cake made by super volunteer Cheryl. Yum!
Servings of pumpkin spice cake.

We served 376 meals today.


No comments:

Post a Comment