Sunday, July 8, 2012

Amazing Burn Remedy

Like most busy bakers I've had my share of burns.

A few weeks ago while working at the Wednesday Community Meal I burned the palm of my hand  when I used a torn oven mitt that should have been tossed.

My friend and fellow volunteer Martha quickly came to my rescue with a bottle of cold yellow mustard. We learned about the remedy in "The People's Pharmacy" newspaper column and thought we should give it a try.

After running cold water over the burn for about 5 minutes it looked like it was going to blister. Martha squeezed the cold mustard over the burn and I put on a latex glove and got back to work.

The mustard immediately cooled the burn and took the pain away. I reapplied mustard about every 30 minutes for a couple of hours. After we finished work, Martha checked the burn with me and we could hardly see where it was and it didn't hurt at all.

Martha and I couldn't believe how fast the mustard worked to heal the burn. "It's a miracle," she said. I agree and the best part is that yellow mustard is inexpensive and readily available in your fridge.

I have no scar from the burn and am thankful for Martha's quick response.

Please note that the mustard treatment is for first and second degree burns. Please seek medical help for more serious injuries.






1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this tip! Do you know the science behind why it works? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete