Wednesday, April 20, 2016

My Friends Forever

Trinity Episcopal Cathedral's Wednesday Community Meal is very special. It's a place full of love and compassion, where friends work side by side to prepare and serve a meal to friends in need.

Everyone is invited inside to sit, relax and eat.  The meal is free, no questions asked and everyone is treated with kindness and respect.

It's been an important part of my life since 2004. In the beginning it was just my friend Fred and I handing out sack lunches. Later, with Trinity's support, it evolved to be a hot lunch in a take out box and finally in 2008, a four course meal served inside beautiful Kempton Hall.

Inviting our guests inside changed everything. It was the right thing to do. It enabled us to spend more time with our guests and we got to know and love them. They are real people. They are fathers, mothers, daughters and sons and they shouldn't have to suffer.  They deserve to eat and enjoy delicious and nutritious food and they deserve respite from the heat in the summer and the cold in the winter. 

Today was my last day at the meal and I am going to miss everyone so much. Volunteering has enriched my life in so many ways. I feel incredibly blessed to have been able to be a part of such a special program. Being with my friends each Wednesday is something I looked forward to and something I will miss terribly.

I am moving to Connecticut in June with my family but I will never forget my family at The Wednesday Community Meal.


Here are my teammates who served 287 meals today:

Linda

Ione

Tiffany

Mary

Jay

Steve

Linda

Barbara

Sandy

Veronica

Craig (He's always making us laugh.)

Frank, Barbara, Helen and Diane

Bill and Kevin

Dave

Fred

Cindy

Martha

John and Leah

Dan and Dean

Virgina

Anne

Kate

Gwen

Davis

Ann
Vicky and Joyce
Mary (She has been such a wonderful support to me. Mary is the very first volunteer to arrive and gets us started each week, moving our ingredients from our downstairs pantry into the kitchen.)

6 comments:

  1. Wow, I can't believe this day has come. But, it almost always does. Over my years in the "Kitchen" others have come and gone as well. All of them exceptional. What makes this time worse is that Heidi's departure brings back the loss of the others also.
    I will miss you greatly. Luckily, I will still see and feel you in those that remain and that enjoyed you too. Thank you for your vision to create this weekly meal event and bring together all the great people I have met and worked with.
    My sincere wish is for your continued success and happiness in CT and that
    what you started here continues without you as it did with you.

    The Crazy Italian doing the dishes........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working alongside you has been a privilege and so much fun. I am going to miss you too. I am counting on seeing you when you head East.
      :)Heidi

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your loving service, Heidi. You are such a special person. Safe travels and good luck in CT! Love, Ashley (Henry)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much Ashley. Volunteering has enriched my life in so many ways and one of the best is that I've gotten to know nice people like yourself. I am grateful.
      Love,
      Heidi

      Delete
  3. Heidi, I went though every single publication of your culinary adventure of Trinity Episcopal Cathedral's Wednesday Community Meal! It's getting late, but I couldn't stop reading, crying at times, and enjoying the photos of love and compassion in the plates!! I'm simply speechless, you are indeed an exceptional person, a beautiful soul! The more I read, the more I am thankful I've been given the wonderful opportunity to meet you! Your new friends, employees, guests...we are all lucky and blessed to have you!!!

    ReplyDelete