Friday, February 13, 2015

Conversation Heart Cookies

These Conversation Heart Cookies are for my daughter and niece to hand out to their classmates and besides being cute, they are quick and easy to make.

All I did was outline and fill heart shaped cookies and then use an edible ink marker to add the writing. Really, the most difficult part of the whole process was mixing the colors.

So to help with that, here's the link to my previous post on coloring tips. The most important thing really is to remember to take your time and add just a touch of coloring at a time. Be patient. It's easy to add coloring but practically impossible to take it away.

Here are the colorings I used to get these classic Conversation Heart colors:


Lavender = AmeriColor Purple + AmeriColor Violet


 Yellow = AmeriColor Electric Yellow

Pink = Wilton Rose



And here's how I decorated the cookies:

Outline and immediately fill the cookies with flood consistency icing. Use a skewer or scribe tool to evenly distribute the icing and give the cookie a gentle shake to help the icing settle.
Keep working one cookie at a time and once they are all filled, set the cookies aside to dry completely. This took 10 hours for me but it depends on the humidity. The cookies must be completely dry before you add the writing or the pen will break through the icing. Patience is key!

Once the cookies are dry, use an edible ink marker to write on the cookies. I used AmeriColor pink for the yellow hearts and AmeriColor red for the lavender and pink hearts. After the ink dried, I brushed on some powdered sugar to help soften the color of the pen ink. This isn't a necessary step but I though it improved the look of the cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment