Sunday, March 24, 2013

Wedding Cake Preparations

Making a wedding cake means a trip to the hardware store.

Cutting rounds of foam core the size of the cake tiers.

I'm in the process of getting my supplies together for a wedding cake that I am making for a reception on April 6.

There will be upwards of 300 guests so my plan is to make a traditional four-tiered wedding cake and three additional large 14-inch two layer cakes.

Some of the things I did to prepare this past week included a trip to the hardware store for wood rounds which I'll turn into pretty cake bases with fabric and ribbon.

And, I bought 1/4-inch wood dowels which I'll use as supports for the cake layers. After the cake is assembled, I'll sharpen the end of a dowel the height of the entire cake and insert it down the center to stabilize every tier.

My preparations also included the cutting of a giant piece of foam core into rounds the size of each of the cake tiers. Each cake layer will be on foam core because it's a material the dowel will go through yet stay strong.

There's a lot to do and a lot to think about since the wedding is fast approaching and in the last few days I want to be able to just focus on baking a delicious cake.



No comments:

Post a Comment