Monday, December 3, 2012

The Print On Pyrex

My new measuring cup.

My 2-year old measuring cup.

I had to buy a new glass Pyrex measuring cup over the weekend since my 2-year old one is completely unreadable. The red print has just faded and faded away.

Before two years ago I had a Pyrex measuring cup that my mom had given me in the early nineties and the print on it was bright red until the day it shattered when my daughter accidentally dropped it on the back porch.

So why is the print disappearing on my newer one?


According to an employee at the Corningware, Corelle & More Store where I bought my new Pyrex cup, it's because about ten years ago, the company had to redo the ink formula because the orginal contained lead.

She told me that she hears complaints all the time about the new ink fading and that the new cups need to be hand washed.

"You must hand wash them. It's the dishwasher detergent that does the damage," she said.

Good advice that I'm going to follow - I don't enjoy washing dishes by hand but being able to accurately measure is more important.

No comments:

Post a Comment