Sunday, December 2, 2012

Cheese Puffs


My dear friend Cheryl invited me over to help her make a few hundred cheese puffs for an event. Working with her was so much fun and a learning experience.

I've made cheese puffs before but I always thought I had to make them right before I wanted to serve them which can be kind of stressful. Cheryl taught me that these cheesy delights made with classic pate choux pastry can be made and baked in advance and reheated right before serving for a quick and pleasing appetizer. She told me I could even freeze them after baking as long as I was certain to wrap them well.

Please give these a try - they are just the thing to serve at holiday parties.

Cheese Puffs
(makes three dozen)

1 cup water
1 cup butter, unsalted
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup flour
3 eggs
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
fresh ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Don't use the convection setting. Also, line two sheet pans with parchment paper.

Heat the water, butter and salt in a saucepan over medium heat until the butter is melted.

Add the flour and with a wooden spoon stir until it comes together and forms a ball in the pan.

With the heat on medium, continue stirring for 5 minutes or until the dough becomes stiffer. The idea is that you want to dry out the dough so that when the eggs are incorporated later it will still hold its shape.

Transfer the dough into the bowl of a stand mixer and beat on low speed for a few minutes to cool the dough.

With the mixer on medium, add the eggs one at a time until the dough is the consistency of cookie dough.

Finally, add the cheese and a generous amount of black pepper.

Transfer the mixture to a piping bag with a large tip or use a teaspoon to place 1-inch mounds of dough on the sheet pans.

Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce the oven temp to 350 degrees and bake for another 10 to 12 minutes or until the puffs are golden brown and crisp.






No comments:

Post a Comment