Saturday, March 31, 2012

Tip: When To Add The Flavorings

Two years ago I took a Christmas cookie baking class from baker and author Julie Richardson at SweetWares in Hillsdale (6306 SW Capitol Hwy, Portland, OR) and she passed on a helpful tip.

She told us to add our extracts and spices to the butter we are beating at the start of a recipe so that they get evenly dispersed throughout the final product. It makes sense since the fat in a recipe is basically the vehicle on which flavor travels. So whether it's an extract or a spice, beat it into the butter first.

I've taken this tip further and use it whenever I cook. When I saute, I season the oil before adding my meat or veggies. And, when I make a vinaigrette for a salad, I whisk my seasoning into the olive oil and then add the vinegar.  It makes a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment